SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I be Worried

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb 2005 15:08    Post subject: Should I be Worried Reply with quote

Your site is great, more power to your pen or keystrokes.

I have suddenly been receiving scamming emails for the past couple of weeks now. I just delete them because I know that they are all crap, but today there is one which is addressed to my full name. Now this is a bit worrying, or are they just taking it from my email address.

I would love to answer and one of these days I will after I have learned all that I can about the best way to go about it. I'm not too sure about new email addresses etc. Not too hot with a computer yet.

I also have a theory that they are getting folks addresses from bona fide lists where perhaps I have gone into a site or bought something. So it must be that they have someone on the inside who is passing on these adds. or are somehow gaining access to the site personal info.

Oyibolass
Oyibolass
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb 2005 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I got the log in right, this is just a test.
Former Member
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb 2005 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site.

You need not be concerned just because you are getting scammer mails. Treat it the same as spam and simply ignore it.

Try searching on http://www.google.com for your own name, or email address and see what pops up. You may be suprised what you can find out about yourself.

Scammers pick addresses up from Guestbooks, Forums, Chat Rooms, Mailing Lists and the like (whereas spam is a little more complex an issue).

If you have any inclination towards baiting the scammers do a google search for 'Scambaiting' and start researching what to do.

Under no circumstances should you bait using your own personal email account or details -- EVER.

EU
Oyibolass
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb 2005 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eatyo Urgreens, thanks your advicse, I've been reading up on 419eaters all about scanning and wouldn't do anything yet until I know all the gen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> REQUEST HELP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: