SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Sure about this...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinspirit

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2005 02:20    Post subject: Not Sure about this... Reply with quote

First, I do not have a Barclay's Bank Account. But I did get this email, and it just sounds unusual; especially since the FROM address is a yahoo address, and it's asking for password and access info. I wouldn't!

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:03:08 -0800 (PST)
From: "Bar޴clay޾s" <d_ptvifybf@yahoo.com> Add to Address Book
Subject: B‮ra‬clays E‮iam‬l Verif‮ci‬ation
To: spinsonik@yahoo.com

D‮rae‬ Bar‮syalc‬ M‮me‬ber,

Th‮si‬ em‮lia‬ was s‮tne‬ by the Ba‮yalcr‬s se‮evr‬r to ver‮yfi‬ y‮ruo‬ em‮lia‬
ad‮serd‬s. You mu‮ts‬ c‮pmo‬lete t‮ih‬s p‮cor‬ess by cl‮kci‬ing
on the li‮kn‬ b‮ole‬w and ent‮ire‬ng in the s‮lam‬l w‮odni‬w y‮ruo‬ Barc‮al‬ys
Memb‮sre‬hip numb‮re‬, pass‮edoc‬ and memo‮bar‬le w‮ro‬d.
T‮ih‬s is d‮eno‬ for yo‮ru‬ protect‮oi‬n - be‮uac‬se s‮mo‬e of our me‮rebm‬s no lon‮reg‬ h‮va‬e a‮ecc‬ss to th‮rie‬ e‮am‬il addr‮sse‬es and
we m‮tsu‬ v‮re‬ify it. To ve‮fir‬y y‮ruo‬ em‮ia‬l add‮sser‬ and acc‮sse‬ y‮uo‬r b‮na‬k a‮tnuocc‬ , c‮cil‬k on the l‮kni‬ be‮ol‬w:
Former Member
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2005 09:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. This type of email is called Phishing. They simply try to direct people to a fake page to get your banking login details, then you get cleaned out.

This one I have seen in the inbox of a friend of mine at the weekend. The HTML appears to have been written to try and fool spam filters, but is badly implemented.

Normaly one should simply locate the email address of the bank which is the target of the phishing and sent the mail (as an attachment) for them to investigate.
lightwave
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2005 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a fake bank website that consisted of 50 or more pages. It claimed to be a division of the Barclay's bank. It was all fake but seemed convincing.

Eatyo has the right attitude and have no further connections with the scammers who sent you that email, but report the site to the real bank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS A SCAM? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: