SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing Business in Benin

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS A SCAM?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lkw441
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep 2005 15:24    Post subject: Doing Business in Benin Reply with quote

I resell computers in bulk (400-4000). I have in the past rec'd Money Orders totalling $11,363 that I found out was fake from a company in Benin. I realize that others are aware of the scam about somebodys brother of the late such and such wants to transfer $1,000,000 into my account. This is a scam and I realize that. However, now I have someone from Benin who says he wants to buy computers from me and represents himself as a business person. He has sent me a PO (really just an email with shipping information) and requests that I send a Performa Invoice with wiring instructions as I do business only by T/T. However, I am very nervous about providing my ABA and Account information to people from that country. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Larry
mirakl

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep 2005 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very difficult to tell you with such limited information if this is a scam. There's a common scam where people are either given a cheque or Western Union transfer which turn out to be fraudulent. If they overpay you and ask for the balance to be sent that's a sure sign they're scamming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lkw441
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep 2005 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirakl wrote:
It's very difficult to tell you with such limited information if this is a scam. There's a common scam where people are either given a cheque or Western Union transfer which turn out to be fraudulent. If they overpay you and ask for the balance to be sent that's a sure sign they're scamming.

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of money orders, cashier checks, overpayment.....etc. These are known scamming techniques that haven been tried on me and others. I'm just concerned about providing my bank information to people from Africa. What kind of damage could occur? Right now I'm tempted just to make it a blanket rule......no business with people from that country. This is unfortunate as there are legitimate business people there but scamming has put the 'Fear of God' in doing business there. Thanks again.

Larry
Captain Igloo
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep 2005 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would propose you talk to your bank about a secure way to irrecoverable receive money and adher to a strict delivery-after-payment policy for these states.
Old Coaster
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep 2005 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. At the very least, you will need a special bank account which has no credit facility and is normally empty. Then when cash is wired in, you move it out the next day. However, we are seeing cases where the fraudsters "flash" the account with a genuine credit and then claw it back a few days later.

Get advice from your bank before touching anything from West Africa, Spain and many other places.

OC
Q

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep 2005 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Capt. Igloo says insist on a payment system that cannot be reversed by the buyer.

Such systems include the Western Union and MoneyGram money transfer services and Western Union's Bidpay/Auction Payments.

You still have as if you very careful even with these payment methods as scammers will try and pull tricks with them. With the Western Union and MoneyGram money transfer scammers will generally say they will keep part of the information you need to collect the money and will give it to you when they've received the goods. Its a trick they won't reveal the information they will just disappear into cyberspace leaving you without your goods. You need to make it clear that you will collect payment first and send the goods once the cash is in your hands. If they refuse this then tell them that the deal is off. Genuine buyers may feel uneasy using Western Union/MoneyGram because its a favourite of the scammers to obtain money through scams, but when you are dealing with clients in Africa with the current situation as it is you have very little choice but only to take Western Union/MoneyGram.

Personally I would stick to either Western Union or MoneyGram money transfer systems, I will however mention Western Union Bidpay or as it was previously known Western Union Auction Payments. It is a non-reversible payment system if used correctly however scammers use the Bidpay name to trick sellers into believing they've been paid when they haven't so you should be very cautious if you choose to accept it.

Western Union BidPay or Auctions Payments is different to the Western Union money transfer and the two of them shouldn't be confused. The reason scammers like BidPay is because the way it works. When a buyer is using it for real (and not pulling a scam) they will pay WU Bidpay the money for your goods and Bidpay email you to sell you funds have been received from the buyer and their name and address. You are then meant to ship the goods by a trackable means and provide the number to bidpay. Once bidpay receive this number they pay you normally by cheque after about 7-10 days. The way scammers use it against sellers is they spoof the email supposily coming from bidpay telling you to ship and send the tracking number. Because its normally around 7-10 days before you get your cheque from bidpay you wouldn't notice something was up until then. Of course at this point the scammer has most likely already received the goods and there is nothing you can do to change this as once a package has been deliver by a courier you cannot reverse it. There is one simple way to see straight through this scam though and that is to check your Bidpay account online by visiting the Bidpay website. This will show whether funds have been deposited into your bidpay account. If you've received an email but there are no funds in your bidpay account its a sure sign the email was spoofed.

To spot spoofs is generally very easy and may have the following characteristics:

1. the domain name in the email address (the bit after the @ symbol - e.g yahoo.com) belongs to a free web based email provider.

2. there are numerous spelling and grammatical errors in the email.

3. the urgency to ship immediately is stressed numerous times.

4. the email contains orders and instructions which you must complete which appear to be rude and bossy. A real company wouldn't write an email like that.

Please bear in mind that just because an email doesn't show any of the above does not necessary mean for definite that it is real. CHECK YOUR BIDPAY ACCOUNT ONLINE AND/OR CALL BIDPAY AND CHECK USING A NUMBER YOU GET FROM THEIR WEBSITE OR DIRECTORY ENQUIRES. DO NOT USE A NUMBER PROVIDED IN THE EMAIL IF ITS A SPOOF THE NUMBER MOST LIKELY BELONGS TO THE SCAMMER!!
foxglove
Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep 2005 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one should not bump an old thread, but I just came across this one and nobody seems to have considered a L/C. But for large commercial shipments (400 - 4000 computers ?) international trade uses "Irrevocable Confirmed Letter of Credit" which safeguards both seller and buyer. The seller receives payment on submitting proof of shipping documents. Such documents may include a B/L or AWB, invoices, packing list, insurance certificates, an inspection certificate from an independent inspection agency, etc. Not maybe 100 % risky free, but quite secure.
Old Coaster
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS A SCAM? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: