SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lady wants to meet

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS A SCAM?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frendall

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb 2005 03:47    Post subject: Lady wants to meet Reply with quote

I have been talking to a lady in Ghana for some time and she seems nice and talks by phone Email and IM's. We talk a lot of personal things and she seems honest and sincer. She would like to come to US to meet me and put me in contact with a "travel agent". The agency is African Travel and Tour Agency....they want $2800 dollar to process her trip including travel. I would like to know if anyone has delt with them or can help me with were to find if they and she are legit.

Thank You
Former Member
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb 2005 09:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's a scam. Whatever you may think about 'how nice' the person is that you are talking to, no legitimate person would ask a foreigner for a huge amount of money "to come visit".

Do some research... have you googled this person's email address, or name and address. Have you googled the name of the "travel agency" (which will no doubt be using a free email provider and not have a website). If you want further evidence that this is a scam them please give us some more details.

However, rest assured that based on what we see every day, this person in Ghana is certainly trying to dupe you. Do not send any money and break off contact immediately.
M_Saeed_Al_Sahhaf
Victim Support

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb 2005 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scammers frequently use dating or lonely hearts sites to target their victims. They figure that people using those sites may be vulnerable and more trusting. If they're asking for money its a scam.

Would you ask a date to fund your trip?
Frendall

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb 2005 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies and info
Q

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb 2005 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she really wanted to see you, she'd pay for her own trip.

A lot of scammers use also use this technique to obtain visas to visit your country, once they arrive, they disappear never to be seen again. The next thing you know is you have immigration knock on your door.

One final thing to remember is that this nice lady you've been chatting with will probably be man. Ask to see her on webcam. She will almost certainly refuse this request.
M_Saeed_Al_Sahhaf
Victim Support

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb 2005 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a google search, no such business.
Bond-007
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2005 01:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q wrote:
If she really wanted to see you, she'd pay for her own trip.

A lot of scammers use also use this technique to obtain visas to visit your country, once they arrive, they disappear never to be seen again. The next thing you know is you have immigration knock on your door.

One final thing to remember is that this nice lady you've been chatting with will probably be man. Ask to see her on webcam. She will almost certainly refuse this request.

I know someone that this happened to. Immigration showed up at 6am looking for the said scammer. Turns out he just disappeared into the ether was scamming again from an internet cafe in Dublin.

The police were very angry at the person.
lightwave
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar 2005 09:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is DEFINITELY a scam. Some Russian women do that one big time, so do some Philipinos. There are HEAPS of Philipino women cruising the net looking for M&M (marry and migrate) opportunities.

They sweeten you up with some honey-laden chat and then say "darling I want to come and visit you, send me some money"

So like a goose you send money and then they say, "send more".... etc, etc.

First it's the visa cost, then the passport cost, then the airticket. It's endless.
Matrix

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar 2005 20:00    Post subject: Lady Wants to meet Reply with quote

Yes indeed ,that is definitely a scam. not more than 24 hrs. ago , I busted a supposedly Russian female who said she was in Africa working for the World Health Organization. She had used a dating sight to first contact me. I was suspicious when her profile stated that her eyes were black in color ,and yet the accompanying photographed clearly showed light blue eyes. I played along to see what was up. and sure enough ,not more than 48 hours after her first contact with me she was sure I was the man for her and she needed me to send her $750.00 to finance her trip here to America. If this had not been such a disgusting insult to my intelligence , I probably would have laughed. But Instead , I simply emailed a copy of her communications to the Fraud Bureau at the FBI.
LAL

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2005 17:04    Post subject: Accra, Ghana ... you wont believe this one. Reply with quote

I am a 50 yr. old widower who has been trying out the dating sites. On one particular site I had an absolutely beautiful 29 yr. old, self proclaimed African Princess IM me and proceed to tell me her tales of woe. She claims she is the daughter of a king. Her mom was the kings 4th wife and she is the only daughter of 11 children from all four wives. About a year after her father passed away, her mother was on her death bed and gave her some documents that are her inheritance. She claims her Mom advised her to marry a foreigner and have him as a beneficiary. Because she was left such an exhorbitant amount of money, she feels that her 10 brothers are going to try and take it from her. She said they all think that it's too much money for her. Although they all got their own inheritance. She told me straight up that she wants me to bring her here and take care of her and that age is just a number to her. She has told me that she already has a visa and passport and I just have to fly her here and be a faithful and loving husband with all my heart. I mean...my names Tucker...not sucker...but what if it's real. Am I passing up the opportunity of a lifetime? I swear she could be a supermodel here in America.
Q

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2005 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LAL: Its a scam, she is just telling you what you want to hear.

Which African country is she from? There are only three monarchies in Africa. Lesotho, Swaziland and Morocco. If she claims to be from one of these three countries her story doesn't check out as their kings are still alive and well. All of the other countries in Africa are republics. Republics don't have kings (they elect presidents) so she can't be a princess.
Captain Igloo
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2005 22:08    Post subject: Re: Accra, Ghana ... you wont believe this one. Reply with quote

LAL wrote:
I swear she could be a supermodel here in America.

The pictures might well be of an african or american (super)model. Chances are about nil that these are real pictures of the person you are communicating with (who is also most probably male).
LAL

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr 2005 10:42    Post subject: Accra, Ghana Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts folks! The Princess hales from Accra, Ghana. She recently gave me her phone number and wants me to call her. I haven't had the gumption, because I think it might be a scam where she will use my phone number to make calls or something. What I don't get is how these people are being schooled over there, (particularly on how to deceive) and how they have access to computers. They must have had good luck in the past with some very gullable Americans. On the same dating site, I had two other girls from Accra contact me. It's almost as if they will marry an American, just to be able to get out of their country/situation. Mail order brides if you will. So I guess I can quit daydreaming about my beautiful African Princess and her $4million. Thanks again scaMPatrol!
frodo
Victim Support

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2005 03:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Igloo is right. The scammer is most likely male and if you were to insist on a phone call, he would arrange for a female friend of his to pretend to be the girl in question. This is very common.
winelight
Victim Support

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2005 05:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gives the game away is the story of the $4million.

It is certainly true that there are many beautiful African ladies who would love to marry someone in the West, but they don't have $4million. Usually, they don't have $0.04, and that's why they want to marry someone from the West.

Indeed, an African friend of ours wrote to us just last week enclosing her photographs and asking us to find her a husband (for real!). We've known her a few years and this just came out of the blue. But she doesn't have $4M and I wouldn't describe her as a supermodel.
Big Daddy
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct 2005 04:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a member of a such and such interracial dating site... And I've also been contacted by several ladies from Africa... I've been informed from other members of the site that all they want is a green card and $$$... So I'm up on their tricks to the point where I just ignore them (Africans) on the site... I've considered baiting them as I'm a scam baiter but I use my real first name on the site... So I'd have to some how get them incontact with one of my "alter ego's" and tell them that one of my "multiple personalities" is interested in them... I haven't done this yet but I've considered it...
mirakl

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct 2005 09:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't necro old threads. The same rule applies here as on 419Eater. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS A SCAM? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: