SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK, I was a scam victim

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> YOUR STORY AND EXPERIENCES WITH SCAMMERS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ecce signum
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec 2004 23:39    Post subject: OK, I was a scam victim Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just joined this forum. I recently became a scambaiter for no other
reason than I want to help those that have been scammed, and try to
waste the time of this virmin.

A few years ago I had to go into hospital for an operation on my back,
chances where things would be fine and thankfully I'm still ok but do
suffer from back pain. Anyway, I was worried that my 'normal' working
life would end on the operating table and naively looked around for
that get rich without working type of thing. I found what seemed a
plausable online lottery game that was just starting out, it had a
website and everything. The whole setup seemed like pyramid selling but
in my condition then things seemed fine.

My girlfriend got wind of it and wisely told me not to go down that
route but my macho instincts told me it was a win win situation.
Thankfully they only wanted £149 to set things up and I got plenty of
shiny contracts for reselling. When I came out of hospital I finally
found out it was a fraud, trading standards got involved and knew the
guy but could nothing about things as he had actually committed no
crime. He was a young lad that set up bogus companies only to 'lose'
them after he had reaped £1,000's from people like myself.

I was lucky to have been scammed for a small amount of money and since
I started 'baiting' 419 scammers have first hand knowledge of the
amount of money they steal.

I feel bettter now as other than my gf I have told nobody else about
this.

Last edited by Ecce signum on Thu 02 Dec 2004 00:42; edited 1 time in total
Former Member
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2004 00:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES, it takes a huge amount of courage and strength of character to share an experience like that. We are all greatful, and I'm sure some of our visitors will be too.

The sums of money in a scam don't need to be huge, as you have noted, the scammer just needs a few willing wallets to be able to scamper off into the sunset with bags of cash.

Scammers are generally very good at what they do, attacking the weak, the old or people like your good self that is under a great deal of pressure. It's difficult to resist the temptations they offer when our minds are not quite as sharp as they would normally be.

I am thankful that you have escaped relatively unharmed by your ordeal.
Ecce signum
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2004 00:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eatyo, I have been in denial about being scammed for a long time, I consider myself of above average intelligence, its not just stupid people that get scammed! I honestly feel much better about the whole business now I have found people that are helping me to get back at the filth that carry on this business (wherever they hail from).

Great work on bringing the truth to the public domain scampatrol and I'm around to help others if I can.
churchmouse
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2004 02:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your experience!
Good people like yourself make a big difference in fighting against internet scams. PLease check in with us whenever you can to share your expertise with others who come for help!
Welcome!
MattNW
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005 00:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecce signum wrote:
Thanks Eatyo, I have been in denial about being scammed for a long time, I consider myself of above average intelligence, its not just stupid people that get scammed! I honestly feel much better about the whole business now I have found people that are helping me to get back at the filth that carry on this business (wherever they hail from).

Great work on bringing the truth to the public domain scampatrol and I'm around to help others if I can.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Intelligence is a very subjective thing. While you may be a very intellgient person, in some circumstances you are still vulnerable to being taken advantage of because of a lack of knowledge (in this case internet savvy).

To put it another way while someone may be a rocket scientist if you dumped them out in the middle of a wilderness they would be completely at a disavantage to a high school drop out who happened to live there his whole life. It isn't a matter of intelligence but a difference in experiences. This is what these people rely on when running their scams in addition to using good people who happen to at the time be at a disadvantage because of a condition or situation like you mention above.

In truth anyone can be scammed under the right circumstances. It just happend that you were in those circumstances at the time. Luckily you've learned the lesson in a relatively inexpensive way and even better you are taking a stance to stop this and protect others from being taken advantage of. In all although you lost £149 the overall gain will be beyond that out of the pockets of these scammers which puts you one up on them.
Daneel_Oliwav
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005 08:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. But you should have waited a week or two.
Former Member2
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2005 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input MattNW but please don't necro old threads. Start a new thread with a link to the old one if need be.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> YOUR STORY AND EXPERIENCES WITH SCAMMERS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: