SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

received "ScamPatrol" mail... fake or not ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov 2005 01:17    Post subject: received "ScamPatrol" mail... fake or not ? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just received a mail from scampatrol.34@gmail.com signed "ScamPatrol Advisor" wich warning me about a transaction I'm about to process with someone from england.

Quote:

Do NOT let the scammer know that I have contacted you. Doing so may
prevent me from warning others.

We are a group of citizens who prevent fraud artists from operating on
the internet. We have information from our informants that a known
scam artist calling himself [...] has targeted you for theft of your money.

Please understand that the transaction he proposes is not genuine. We
are CERTAIN he is trying to scam you. We believe the specific nature
of the scam this time is that he intends to send you a fraudulent
certified check and ask that you wire back a portion of
that check.

[...]

So... is that a virus wich scaned my mailbox or a real warning ?

regards,
Cyril
frazzle
**BANNED**

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov 2005 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warning looks genuine to me.

However, to some extent, the warning's veracity isn't all that important.

What is important is that you carefully consider any transactions of the kind suggested in the warning. Personally, I would never cash a check for somebody who I have never met. You need to be very sure that the check is valid. Ask your bank for a written declaration that the check is valid, and that they won't ever be able to reverse it.

Incidentally, if you can post the full headers of one of your emails from the scammer, I'll bet that it will have come from Nigeria, not England.

To the best of my knowledge, ALL of these kinds of transactions are fraudulent.
Daneel_Oliwav
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2005 09:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, scampatrol.34@gmail.com is one of us. This is a very real warning. Cashing that check can get you in to a lot of trouble, please be careful Smile

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2005 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi !
thanks for your answers.

I've cashed his check a few weeks ago and was waiting for my bank to confirm the validity of his check when I've received this e-mail from the "possibly" scammer :

Quote:

i have contacted the agent that will come for the pick up already, he said he needs the balance payment via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER to be able to upset tax and shipping charges ahead of the pick and shipping.

I will like you to deduct your money for your payment as agreed + cortage and cheque cashing fees, and transfer the rest of the money to the shipping agent by WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER today because he has other goods to shipp for me too which is getting too late.

Note : feel free to deduct the western union transfer charges from the balance ok and all bank currency exchange charges.

below is the shipping Agent full information for the western union transfer :

NAME; IKEDIONWU KOFOTACHUKWU CHARLES

ADDRESS; 200 WIGHTMAN ROAD, WOODGREEN, N4 1RL. UNITED KINGDOM

After the transfer, i will like you to email me the following details for record purpose and for the agent to be able to cash the money at his bank.
informations like :

1) EXACT AMOUNT TRANSFERED TO HIM AFTER CHARGES IS DEDUCTED....
2) SENDER NAME AND ADDRESS......
3) MONEY TRANSFER CONTROL NUMBER (MTCN)......

All this information will be on the western union receipt you will be giving at the point of transfer.
You can go to any western union transfer bank or office to make the transfer ok.

Please let me know when is ok for the shipping agent to come for the pick up at your home, also call the agent as soon as you make the transfer to fix a time for him to arrive.
Please try and make the transfer of the balance to the agent today to avoid delay and additional shipping charges for me.

i await your email with the transfer details today.

kind regards,

Frank

Obviously, he is a Scammer. My bank just confirm me today that his check is NOT valid.

So his "name" is frank Gordon : frannkiy@yahoo.com

Thanks for the advises and the warning ! keep the good work !
Cyril

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2005 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
I'm just wondering how ScamPatrol figure out I was about to make a transaction with this guy calling himself Frank Gordon ?
And now, what do you suggest me to do now I'm sure he is a scammer ? What can we do to catch him ?
Regards,
Cyril
Old Coaster
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2005 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guest

We have many sources, mainly members of the scammer gangs who feel slighted in some way and want revenge. Also the vast majority of Nigerians are decent people and are as horrified as we are by the behaviour of their compatriots who have brought their great country to a level where it is considered the pariah of Africa; some of them supply us with information, which is why we ask all potential victims not to tell their scammer that we have passed on a warning.

Please rest assured, however, that no member of this site hacks the e-mail accounts of victims. We have no need to do this as we get enough information from our sources.

I am pleased that you heeded our warning.

OC
Daneel_Oliwav
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov 2005 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much I'm afraid, everything he's given you will most likely be fake or untraceable back to him. The address for example doesn't seem to exist. These scammers are quite good at remaining anonymous.

I'd recommend you simply break off all contact with him, ignore his emails and phone calls.

You would have to ask the one who warned you where he got the information from.

[EDIT] Ok, I was being very slow there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS A SCAM? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: