SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning received in the post - genuine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS WARNING GENUINE?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blu_eyed_bitch_2005

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2005 06:32    Post subject: is this warning genuine Reply with quote

i have recieved a warning in the postal mail warning of a scammer. is this the real thing? the email addy is....constance.keeble@gmail.com . i have been scammed out of about $12,000. from some one in nigeria.
Daneel_Oliwav
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2005 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this person's username here is "eight" and is one of ours. The warning was for real.

Sometimes we send warnings by regular mail when we can't reach people through other means.
Q

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2005 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spilt this topic from the thread it was originally posted in. In an old thread it may get missed - this way its more likely to be noticed Smile
eight
Victim Support

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2005 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, blu_eyed_bitch. It was me that sent you the warning. Thanks for following the link here. Smile

I am sorry, though, that you have lost money. Sad Please beware of anyone that tells you they can get your money back for you. We can't, I am afraid. There are scammers out there who will try to rip you off by telling you that they can, but they will take a "fee" from you and do nothing, so please do not get taken twice. Sad
blu_eyed_bitch_2005

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2005 15:41    Post subject: catching the scammer Reply with quote

do the police ever catch any off these scammers in nigeria? local police cant do much except send report to secret service.
jez
Victim Support

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2005 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not. Apart from the fact that the scammers use fake names, and untraceable email accounts and phone numbers, law enforcement in Nigeria is not particularly forthcoming in catching internet scammers.

Getting any law enforcement to take action is difficult when the crime was not committed in their country. And, sadly, even if it was, most still do very little unless the amount involved runs into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

However, these crimes should always be reported to the police - no matter which country you're in. Eventually, if enough crimes are reported, something will have to be done. It's an issue eveyone can lobby their government and/or local politician about.
Scam Patroller

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2005 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Sun 27 Nov 2005 16:55; edited 1 time in total
blu_eyed_bitch_2005

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep 2005 19:20    Post subject: phone number Reply with quote

i have a cell phone number for the guy who scammed me. and its legit,because i have called him to see if he was real. is there any way the nigerian police can trace him thru the cell phone number?
Old Coaster
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep 2005 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, NO

The phone is almost certainly an anonymous pay as you go mobile. Even if it was a land-line, it is unlikely that the Nigerian Police will take any action.
ninayae
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar 2006 02:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Constance, I received your letter.
Barbara
eight
Victim Support

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar 2006 03:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for letting me know. Smile If you need more information, or have any questions, please feel free to post here or email me at the email address on the letter. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS WARNING GENUINE? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: