SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Grants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> YOUR STORY AND EXPERIENCES WITH SCAMMERS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtpete

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar 2006 20:47    Post subject: National Grants Reply with quote

I received a phone call on 2/14/06 saying that I was to receive a federal grant in the amount of $8000 and all I needed to do was supply my bank account and routing numbers for the deposit to be processed. I'm no idiot--I used to do collections and my husband has been a victim of identity theft--so I asked for more information. I asked for a number to call them back ( I got one at the end of the phone call which led to a personal voice mailbox which was full), I asked for information on how this "grant" would be processed (we will deposit the grant, then later that day the $295 processing fee will be deducted from the account, he said), and I asked when this would happen (I was told it would be on 3/2, which was the date the processing fee was extracted, but no deposit was made). I talked to my husband, and we decided to use an open but largely unused account to "process" this (and create a paper trail). When I saw the debit amount, I immediately contacted my bank and explained the situation. They closed the account and reversed the nsf fee, but they said the police would not follow-up on such a small amount. I have filed a complaint with the state attorney general, but I've heard nothing.

The long-distance company that offered a free 10-day trial for their service sent their letter, which I read and called to cancel. The unlimited long distance program was a $20 start-up and $50 monthly fee. This is the only paperwork I received from the phone call. Has anyone else gotten bitten by this?
dtpete

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 23:58    Post subject: National Grants Reply with quote

They called back today Exclamation I can't believe they would try this again, but they had my bank account information from last time, so I know it's the same company. I dialed *69 and gave the information to the FBI and my state attorney general's office. I hope they get caught!
M_Saeed_Al_Sahhaf
Victim Support

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2006 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity what did the area code check out as? Chances are they were calling from a completely different country so that makes the chances of them being caught slim at best.

Never give personal details to a cold caller. Another tip is not to ask for a number but to find the main switchboard number for yourself. And if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> YOUR STORY AND EXPERIENCES WITH SCAMMERS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: