SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Fraud Gangs Operate - Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> INFORMATION RELATED TO SCAMS AND OTHER FRAUD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcaluber
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec 2004 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always nice to see something explained in a nicely set out "format". Laughing

I think this will make things a lot clearer for anyone that wants to know what is happening in these scams.

Something that can be added to the end of this explanation is that these scammers will sometimes threaten you with the law or a death threat. Although these threats hold no water, some victims will feel intimidated and will send more money in order to escape being killed.
Captain Igloo
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec 2004 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for typing that up Frodo.
One more thing i would like to add is another scontinuation of these cams that has recently come up:

A while after the victim finds out that he has lost the money, he is contacted by an organisation claiming to be a law enforcement or private investigator, and claiming to be able to recover the losses a victim endured - but only after he pays a "registration fee", an "investigation fee" etc. Eventually this money will also be lost.

If you now ask yourself, who you can trust, the answer is quite simple: never trust anyone that ofers you large amounts of money for a comparatively "small" fee.
We people here at scampatrol will help you as good as we can, and we will never ask you for any money.
frodo
Victim Support

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2004 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've now revised the article to incorporate your great suggestions. See the edited 2.0 version above.
I've also posted a modified version to 419legal, at the suggestion of Churchmouse.

**Hobbit Edit: Rian made it a sticky at 419legal. How about that? Very Happy
I also plugged this forum over there!
Captain Igloo
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2004 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just made that one an anouncement, and will split the discussion from the first article. Thanks Frodo!
Epistimon
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec 2004 01:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the faxes I get are of the kind that Capt Igloo mentioned. Most of them purport to be from a government agency, all claiming to be "legit" while everyone else is an imposter. I wouldn't doubt if they were sent by the same people that sent the original 419 emails. They try to cover every angle.
frodo
Victim Support

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec 2004 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If you run an IP trace on the various scam letters you receive in your baiting box... you'd be surprised how many Abachas and Wang Qin's are actually the same bunch of scammers. It's a kind of shotgun approach to see what sort of scam will work on you. Somehow they overlook the fact that if one person receives multiple scam letters, they might get a bit suspicious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> INFORMATION RELATED TO SCAMS AND OTHER FRAUD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: