SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Example of why victims get confused!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Coaster
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun 2006 18:48    Post subject: Example of why victims get confused! Reply with quote

I get extremely angry when legitimate companies behave like scammers. This was sent to me today by a friend who asked me what to do. The company may well be legitimate. She rents flats and the details were correct. However her tenant did not warn her that this e-mail was coming
Quote:
Date: Thu Jun 29, 2006
To: XXXXXXX
Subject: flat X, XXXXXXX

Dear XXXXXXX

We have been asked to compile information in order to complete a Financial Arrangement on Behalf of the above named
person.

Simply Click on this link http://fccparagon.com/online_forms/managing_agent.cfm?reference_number
(if for some reason the link does not work, copy the link and paste it into your browser address bar)

Your prompt assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated as we have been asked to respond within 24 hours in order that the application can completed on time. If you have any queries regarding this message please call the number below quoting this reference XXXXXXX.

Many Thanks

Emma Carter

FCC Paragon
TEL: 08700 732235
FAX : 08700 732126

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY. This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose,
or store or copy the information in any medium. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the sender specifically states them to be the views of FCC Paragon. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify the IT Helpdesk on 02392 237028

Have a look at the form. Notice it is not secure (https) so anyone can read the comments my friend might have made. Notice also the spelling mistake "Posistion" rather than "Position". Finally notice the company uses the rip-off UK national 0870 numbers rather than geographic ones. These numbers cost the caller twice as much as geographic ones and the company receives a credit for every second a caller is on line.

Are they legitimate? Who cares! I could have checked the company out at www.companieshouse.co.uk, but that is their problem. They give this information on their form
Quote:
Paragon Scheme Managment Services Ltd. Registered in England. Company Registrstion Number 3176719
but they cannot even spell "registration" so why should I bother.

I advised my friend that this looks like a phishing attempt and that she should contact her tenant and await the response. All I would say is that assuming he approves the passing on of his personal information, under no circumstances would I ever recommend this bunch of clowns to vet any financial transactions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS A SCAM? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: