SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WALMART MONEY GRAMS (MONEY ORDERS) BREEDERS BEING SCANED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> INFORMATION RELATED TO SCAMS AND OTHER FRAUD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WINDY CITY BLUEZ
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec 2005 08:47    Post subject: WALMART MONEY GRAMS (MONEY ORDERS) BREEDERS BEING SCANED Reply with quote

[/i]Hello every one we are breeders from Chicago IL & we have been contacted by two diffrent scamers attempting to scam us out of our hard earned money the scams go like this; We recieved an e-mail from a potential buyer (so we thought) this person wanted to buy one of our puppies American Pit Bull Terriers, So we e-mailed all the info as we always do pictures of the available pups pedigree etc. the first red flag was his lack of intrest twords the puppy he said he would trust our judgement in picking out the puppy for him and second red flag was for us not to worry about the shipping of the puppy for his company would contact us with all the instructions but the most important of the warnings was the amount of the money order which was to be four times our asking price, the balance was to be sent back by western union, clearly a scam who would trust a total stranger with five thousand two breeders we know have been sent two walmart money grams worth $2,500 each they don't know what to do can any one please help with this issue? i have told them not to cash them until they are 100% sure it's not a scam yet all our puppies go for one grand why send five grand??? smells like a scam to me thank you in advance for any information thank you
Breeders be ware for we are now being targeted by the scamers they say they want your puppy yet never show any intrest in your stock nor bloodlines and almost always say not to worry about shipping for they have a shipper whom will contact you
crashhoot
Victim Support

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec 2005 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

@WINDY CITY BLUEZ

This is most definately a scam. The Walmart money grams are counterfiet!
Tell your friends to contact the police, and turn over all the information to them. If they try to cash the money grams, they could be held liable for the entire amount of the money, not to mention facing possible criminal prosecution.
Former Member
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec 2005 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been incidents reported in the online press involving WalMart Money Orders:-

Quote:
Story Here

Police warn of fake money orders
By Ronna Lawless, Nevada Journal
25th November, 2005

A local man was the target of an international scam, but alert bank tellers saved him from losing money.

The Nevada Police Department is investigating an incident involving a suspected counterfeit Wal-Mart money order that was presented to a local bank on Friday, Nov. 18.

Information gathered to date has revealed that other similar money orders have turned up in the area over the past few weeks. The money orders recovered thus far appear to always be made out for $950, however this in and of itself does not indicate that the money order is counterfeit. The money orders are generally received by unsuspecting people through the mail. At this time, it appears that these counterfeit money orders are connected to a fraud scheme that began overseas.

"This kind of scam has been a problem for quite some time now - maybe two or three years," said Sgt. Ric Martinez of the Nevada Police Department.

The whole problem starts on the Internet with an e-mail message from someone overseas who claims to need help recovering some money in the United States. Often the plea comes from someone in Nigeria, so the scam is often referred to as the "Nigerian scam."

The scammers say they need help recovering an amount of money, perhaps $1,900, and says it would not be worth their travel expenses to come and get it. The scammer offers the e-mail recipient part of the money, maybe $400, to allow money orders to be sent to them, cash them and send on part of the proceeds to the person overseas.

There are several things about the process that make it seem legitimate, Martinez said. For example, the money orders often arrive via Federal Express, which seems very official.

The money orders themselves look authentic. The printing looks like a genuine money order. There are a variety of authentication marks on the paper, in this case one thing was a sentence in fine print across the top that the amount box should be printed in microprint and thermochromic "indicates a copy."

This time, the counterfeit money order was printed from Wal-Mart, but that could be changed to be any bank. Martinez pointed out that there are no watermarks on the fakes.

"They also encourage you to take the money orders to your own bank," Martinez said. "That makes people feel more comfortable about the process, and it also makes it more likely that a bank will accept the money order. But in this case, the bank caught it."

The local man was shocked to find out they weren't real, Martinez said. He was completely innocent of any wrongdoing and was not charged with any crime. But if the bank had not caught the counterfeits, he would have been responsible for the debt when the money orders were not honored.

"It's really cheap for these people to do this scam," Martinez explained. "They can send out 1,000 e-mails for free, and if just one person responds, they can make some money."

He said sometimes people get caught up in the Nigerian scam even after they find out it's not legitimate. They go to different banks and get several deliveries of money orders and go to different banks to cash them.

"At that point, they become part of a conspiracy," Martinez said. "And that is a federal crime."

What should a person do if they receive a money order or cashier's check and wonder whether it's authentic? "Go to your bank and ask them about it. Or go to law enforcement and ask," Martinez said. "And remember the old adage is true. 'If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.'"

And what should people do if they receive suspicious e-mail messages? Martinez had a great piece of advice: "Hit delete."

Anyone with information regarding this investigation or anyone who may have received similar money orders is encouraged to contact the Nevada Police Department at (515) 382-4593.
WINDY CITY BLUEZ
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec 2005 23:50    Post subject: THANK YOU CRASHHOOT Reply with quote

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ANY TIME SOME ONE YOU DON'T KNOW SENDS YOU FOUR TIMES THE ASKING PRICE FOR ANY THING YOU ARE SELLING SHOULD BE A STRONG ENOUGH SIGN THAT SOME THING IS NOT RIGHT THANK YOU FOR POSTING A REPLY I WILL E-MAIL THIS TO BOTH MY FRIENDS WHO HAVE RECIEVED THE WALMART MONEY ORDERS THANK YOU WES WINDY CITY BLUEZ
Breeders be ware for we are now being targeted by the scamers they say they want your puppy yet never show any intrest in your stock nor bloodlines and almost always say not to worry about shipping for they have a shipper whom will contact you
Napalm
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec 2005 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the scammers have your personnel details ( real name addess etc: ) however if they don't, I suggest you tell the scammer you have blown all the money on a horserace/party/drinking binge/holiday etc: Doctor up some photo's of you and your buddys spending the scammers cash Smile Remeber bait safe!
WINDY CITY BLUEZ
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2005 04:48    Post subject: THANK YOU EVERY ONE THAT POSTED THANK YOU Reply with quote

THE PARTY WITH THE SCAMERS MONEY IS A GOOD IDEAL I DID WRITE WHEN THEY ATTEMPTED TO SCAM ME I TOLD THEM I WAS NOT IN CHICAGO ANY LONGER AND THAT ALL THE PUPPIES HAD BEEN SOLD TO THROW THEM OFF EVEN THOUGH ALL THEY HAD WAS MY WEB SITE INFO ADDRESS & E MAIL PLUS THE PHONE NUMBER WHICH IS POSTED ON OUR WEB SITE BUT THE PARTY SCAM TO REALLY PISS THEM OFF IS A WONDERFUL IDEAL WE WILL DEFF DO THIS THANK YOU SEE HOW THEY LIKE IT WHEN THEY THINK WE CASHED THE FAKE MONEY ORDERS AND THAT THEY HAVE BEEN SCAMED OUT OF THE BALANCE THEY WANTED SAID BALANCE TO BE SENT TO NIGERIA THROUGH WESTER UNION WHICH IN MY BOOK IS A PARY TO THIS TYPE OF CRIME (WESTERN UNION THAT IS)
thatwilldobordercollies
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan 2008 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been contacted in the last few weeks by 2 different buers for some puppies I have available One has already sent the money gram (wal mart) for 3 x the amount per puppy. We are in Canada should I contact the police or just let them think I have cashed the check?
jez
Victim Support

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan 2008 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should report it to the police, although there's probably little they can do. The cheque will be fake of course, but as long as you don't attempt to cash it, you'll be okay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> INFORMATION RELATED TO SCAMS AND OTHER FRAUD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: