SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please confirm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faith_within
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb 2005 11:48    Post subject: please confirm Reply with quote

I have this cheque written out to me from Travel Agency Commission Settlement, Sent from the UK but says it is for citibank, NA, New York which that bank does exist but I can not find anything on the Travel Agency side of it. All I found was that it is a travel agency thing. Can someone unlock this confussion and also what do I do know with this cheque as I contacted the local Police but they are not too interested in it as we are in a small town.
Former Member
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb 2005 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the cheque for? How did you come by it?

Do you have an address for the Travel Agency Commission Settlement.

More info would be useful to be able to help you.
faith_within
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb 2005 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cheque was for a motor vehicle we have for sale, but got warned this person was a scammer. So I have ignored all emails from them. This cheque turns up for $9,500.00 USD it is dated and has a check no. and client no. on it also has serial numbers along the bottom like normal cheques. If I was not to know I would say this was a real cheque as it looks very real. Our Vehicle we had for sale was for $6,500 AUD. It is signed and all like any normal cheque. Not sure what else you want from it.
Witch
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb 2005 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a scam...if your car was for sale for 6500. and someone sends you a cheque for 3000. more, they will want you to put it into your bank account and send them the difference.After about 1 week,your bank will call up to tell you the cheque if fraudulent.
You will then owe the bank 3000.plus charges,plus anyother money you've taken out of the account.
Do Not cash the cheque...they will contact you.

Would you buy a vehicle like this..unseen...send more money than it's worth?
If you can give more info..as eatyo requested it would help us look.
Former Member
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb 2005 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Witch. Quite right, this certainly has all the hallmarks of a standard fake cheque scam. As Witch has said, do not try to cash the cheque as you would be committing a criminal offence yourself. If you were warned by one of our operatives then you can be 110% sure it's a scam.
Q

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb 2005 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really about a fake bank or a fraudlent website so I'm moving it to a more appropraite forum! You'll get a better response here! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> IS THIS A SCAM? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: