SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am a scam victim. How can I return my money.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vitaliy

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2005 17:00    Post subject: I am a scam victim. How can I return my money. Reply with quote

Dear sir/mis, I am already a scam victim. I have lost 5750 euro which I have paid them. I can tell you chronologically everything that has happened and I have all the documents and corespondation saved. I do not know what to do to return them. By the legend I am 1 of 4 winners. Please, if you can help me in some way, give me to know. I am trying to stretch time with my "bank" now. They ask for 7500 euro now to pay tax.
Former Member2
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2005 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vitali and I'm sorry to hear you have lost money. Unfortunately there is no chance of getting the money back, it is gone. However you should break off all contact with the scammers and do not send them any more money.

Is the bank you speak of your real bank or one that the scammers suggested to you.
meyer
Victim Support

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2005 02:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post all the email addresses you have been in contact with here? I would also like to have a look at the website of this "bank".

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2005 02:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyer,
I am also a victim. Could you help to trace the bank (banker), chambers (lawyer), princess (inheritance owner), courier service company (diplomat). I have all the email addresses telephone/mobile/fax contacts. But when you start to ask me about their email address header or IP, I am stucked. I have no idea.

It's easy to say, please stop in contact with the scammers with out any concrete help or means to trace them. Any body could that. Why I came here is because some one introduced me. But it seem just a normal forum. I have informed the police locally and I have also in contact with International Police via internet. But they seem to be of no concrete help as well.

What about you? I hope you could do something more practical (more than words).

I am still talking to them on the phone and email communication. These people are from Burkina Faso, West Africa. And I am from South East Asia. Scampatrol always talk about 419 Nigerian Scam or Fee Advance Fraud. The tow main countries scam patrol talk about are NIGERIA and South Africa. Nigeria is oil riched producing country. South Africa is riched GOLD producing country. I cannot believe these two countries are poor and involved in criminal scam fraud activities. These two countires are members of British Commonwealth countries.

I am talking about BURKINA FASO, West Africa. Based on report Burkina Faso is among the poorest country in the world. Yet they claimed they have King and royalty. They cliamed that there are petroleum operations in their villages (Chevrion Oil Company and Shell Developement Petroleum Company).

If you can help by tracing their contacts, I would be most grateful.

Thanks.
belawan
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2005 02:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyer wrote:
Can you please post all the email addresses you have been in contact with here? I would also like to have a look at the website of this "bank".

Thanks.

meyer,

I am scam victim as well. If I send you the eamil address of the scammers, could you help with sincere heart and able to trace them?

Thanks.
Old Coaster
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2005 09:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that tracing the scammers will get you your money back is a commonly held misbelief. Most scammers cover their tracks well and it needs careful criminal investigation over a period to have any chance of identifying them. In most developed countries, the police do not have the resources and in many (but not all) African countries, the police are so corrupt that they may well be scammers themselves.

Finally, even if a scammer is identified and arrested - this quite often happens in South Africa - there is no money left to return to his victims since the scammer has spent it onfast living.
mirakl

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2005 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case of theft I have ever heard of I have never, ever heard of cash being returned to the victim. This is not only in internet scams but ANYWHERE! It's completely unfair, it's unfortunate, but it's true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kwae
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2005 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, I would also like to add an important footnote here. Many, many people who have been scammed out of money often get another communication, allegedly originating from some organization or another (even many law enforcement services have been impersonated regularly) who will make absurd claims that they are able to track and even return all money that has been handed over. This is always (read every time) another scam, to follow up on the ones that have previously met with such apparent success. This will entail further payment of administrative fees and so forth, resulting in the victim being further defrauded.

Money that has been handed to the scammers will never be returned for all the reasons stated above. It is also highly unlikely (read virtually never) that scammers are actually caught unless an arrest strategy was deployed during the scam itself.

Everyone who has lost money to these criminals must be on their guard for any kind of 'recovery' offers they receive as following up on these will only result in more loss and pain for the victim.

Fraudwatchers - Monitoring for Fraud
Baiting - the new Internet Blood Sport
Q

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2005 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice kwae. Smile

Some of the letters that kwae mentioned actually direct you to this site and 419legal.org. I would like to point out however that we will NEVER EVER ask you for money, donations or otherwise. WE CAN'T GET YOUR MONEY BACK. All we can offer is advice and how to avoid scams in the future.
frazzle
**BANNED**

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2005 01:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirakl wrote:
In any case of theft I have ever heard of I have never, ever heard of cash being returned to the victim.

OFF-TOPIC POST -- NOT 419 OR INTERNET RELATED

Let me be the first...

Here in NZ, criminals (not only thieves) can be ordered by the Court pay reparations to their victims.

The good news:
In March last year, a criminal was convicted of stealing my car, and stuff from it. He was ordered to pay $250 in reparations for the stolen stuff.

The not good, but not totally bad news:
In my pocket I have a cheque for $6.16 -- that's all the reparations I've got so far. He's also paying reparations to a couple of insurance companies, and a couple of other individuals. My share of the $15 he pays per week (taken from his benefit (social security to the Americans)) is $1.41. He only pays when he's out of jail. He's going back in jail soon for some other crimes.
Q

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2005 02:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but the difference frazzle is that the majority of these scammers are operating from countries like Nigeria which turn a blind eye to this sort of thing. Nigeria convicts very few 419 scammers and those which are convicted serve short jail sentences and aren't made to pay any money back to their victims.

While it might be possible if the scammer is convicted in the US, EU, Australia or NZ; that the victim may be able to get some of their money back but this would be the exception rather than the rule.

Therefore we have to advise victims of 419 and other related fraud that they stand little or no chance of getting any of the money they wired back from the scammer in question.

Scampatrol is not going to attempt to try and get money back from scammers, so please don't ask us to try. Its beyond our means. If any victim wants to persude methods of retrieving their money they are welcome to try but I should warn them to look out for the scams which kwae mentioned that are just scammers (possibly the orginal scammer who stole the money in the first place) trying to extract further fees on the false pretense that they can retreive the money lost by the victim.
mirakl

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2005 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

frazzle wrote:

Here in NZ, criminals (not only thieves) can be ordered by the Court pay reparations to their victims.

This is the same in the UK. I really don't count this as getting your money back. Seriously how long will it take? if you even get it all. My business was given a fraudulent cheque once. The criminal's options were pay back all of the money, spend one night in jail, or if he couldn't afford to pay it back in installments. This was a year ago and it's still not paid. You don't get stolen money back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belawan
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2005 02:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirak1, if you have encountered real life experienced yourself with the scams, frauds, criminals etc I have some respect for you for sharing and giving concrete advises to others. If you based on others datas for feed backs, any body could do that. My experience is real life drama.
Old Coaster
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2005 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well! Shocked There you go. Laughing
mirakl

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug 2005 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I do not hold people who have been scammed in higher regard than those who have not. I once accepted a fake cheque (not in quite the same circumstances as often seen here) I have to respect those who were not stupid enough to make the same mistake.

You cannot resent people who are taking time out of their lives to warn people they are being scammed.

You cannot complain they are not doing enough.

You cannot expect them to fix your mistakes.
Karynsolo
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat 24 Sep 2005 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirakl I agree whole hearted with you. As a Fraud Victim Advocate we can only do so much we are not miracle workers. We cannot get the victim's money back, the most that we can hope to do is to help the victim realize what happened, help with the initial shock of the ordeal and help where we can with information. In the case of Victims who have been arrested we do our best to get informaiton that can be used on their behalf to the victim and attorney but we cannot be the attorney.

People have to realize that fighting fraud happens on many different levels, groups and people pool talents and efforts to get the job done. As fast as there seems to be headway the crooks change tune and direction and the nightmare continues.

On a good note I personally have had several people in the past weeks email me BEFORE they sent any money to the scammers asking if the letter they received was part of a scam or if it was real. What we ALL are doing is helping to get people to question things a little more and for that KUDOS to all who are working so hard to fight these crimes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> REQUEST HELP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: