SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freinds who are seriously getting scammed, How to help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jupiter11600

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan 2006 09:12    Post subject: Freinds who are seriously getting scammed, How to help? Reply with quote

This guy in ghana keeps sending my freinds more and more expensive stuff for them to sell and wire him the money. They think he is their freind and will not belive me when I tell them he is a scammer. How can I show them that this guy is bad news. It has gone from clothes, to movies, to cell phones, to laptops now! I'm very afraid for them. Please email me at jupiter11600@mn.rr.com if you have any ideas.

Thanks
Roshelle
DementedAngel
NEW Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan 2006 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

is he sending them the actual product or just having them sell it for him?
noxy
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan 2006 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very important that your friends stop accepting goods from the scammer and sending him money. He is using them as a go-between to fence his stolen goods. He is almost certainly ordering them by stolen credit card and having them sent direct to your friends' house. When they wire him money by Western Union he will be using a false name, making him virtually untraceable.

The police will catch up with your friends soon. The legitimate card holder will notice the unauthorised transactions and will report them to the card company and the police. The card company will follow up the purchases and discover the delivery address being used. The police will be informed and pay a visit to your friends' house.

My advice to your friends is that they should go to the police NOW! The longer they delay the harder it will be for them to convince the police that they were unwittingly caught up in illegal activity. As it is they have already put themselves into a position that could result with them being tried in court for handling stolen goods. If they approach the police now they may avoid legal action being taken against them, or at least mitigate any sentence handed down by the judge.
Captain Igloo
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan 2006 00:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

To elaborate a bit on what noxy wrote, a short explanation about how this scam works:

The scammer buys goods with stolen (and/or phished) credit card using your friends name as a receiver. He then has your friend sell them and send a part of the money over to him.

When the legitimate card owner finds out about it, the police will come knocking on your friends doorstep and he may well face a proscution for fraud. The advice that noxy already gave is the best he can do at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan 2006 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's sending actual stuff. It started with clothes, then like movies, phones, and now laptops. I don't understand how they think this is legit... I keep telling them but they do not want to get it through their heads... This guy keeps telling them it's his "Uncle's" Credit card, and he needs them to sell it so he has the money to come visit...wtf????

I confronted them about it and now only the one that understands it is a scam will talk to me...it's insane....

ternaldony is his yahoo id (atleast one of, I think my fiance has the rest of his information somewere)

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I'll rember to check it this time!

Thanks
Roshelle
M_Saeed_Al_Sahhaf
Victim Support

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2006 09:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could send us their contact details plus any details of the scammer that you know and we will have our victim warning team contact them. Please don't post them here but use either the PM function or email the victim warner who contacted you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> REQUEST HELP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: