SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it worth reporting this typical scam??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uspx

PostPosted: Thu 10 Feb 2005 23:32    Post subject: is it worth reporting this typical scam?? Reply with quote

I have my boat listed for sale on the Internet and of course received the old "I'll pay you full boat (no pun intended) but I must send you a cashiers check for much more than you are asking but just send me the difference Western Union...." Is it even worth it to report this to Yahoo or other agency?
Thanks.

USPX
Former Member
*** Account closed at users request***

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb 2005 01:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

uspx

Welcome to ScamPatrol.org

It is always worth reporting to the host of the scammers email account, though you may not have great success. If you are selling via eBay (or similar) which requires users to have an account, you can also report him there. It won't stop the scammer, merely slow him down, but if one person does not get scammed as a result of the scammer being shut down for a while, it's a job well done.
tomvirgilio@...

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2006 16:23    Post subject: South African Lottery Scam Reply with quote

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:
I, TOM VIRGILIO WANT TO REPORT A SCAM SENT TO ME WHILE SURFING THE INTERNET. THE SCAM'S EMAIL IS WILLIAM SMITH 1024@YAHOO.CO.UK,
I AM REALLY GETTING PERTURBED ABOUT ALL THESE SCAMS. I REPORT ALL OF THEM TOWARDS THE SPAM BUTTON. BUT IT SEEMS THAT THE MORE TIMES I SPAM THEM, THE MORE SCAMS I RECEIVE VIA EMAIL. PLEASE,,,,,,,,IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTACT ME AT tomvirgilio@...... Sincerely, Thomas Virgilio

EDIT: removed your email address - Captain Igloo
Captain Igloo
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2006 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

the problem is that these scammers use automated programs that scan the internet for publically available email addresses (for example in guestbooks or forums, that's why i edited yours).
Once they have your email address there is almost no chance of stopping them. To solve this problem you can either aplly filtering to your email or change your email address.

P.S. Always take care when submiting personal info on the internet. For example i can derive from your username alone, that you are a 50-ish year old Sicilian Chef.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> REQUEST HELP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: