SCAMPATROL Forum Index SCAMPATROL
Working to protect

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

protecting kids re scams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> YOUR STORY AND EXPERIENCES WITH SCAMMERS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maddy

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr 2006 11:08    Post subject: protecting kids re scams Reply with quote

my son who's a whizz on computers started acting really strange last year and after looking into his e mails i found he was in contact with a man. my son i found had given his bank details, date of birth, home address, home telephone and mobile numbers out. this man told him he wasn't happy at home and wanted to come here to collect the money he would put in my son'e account. i went to the bank and got his account closed down and a new one set up. i informed the police. they weren't interested! they took away our computer and 4 months later they returned it. they said they didn't have the time or resources to check it but were pretty sure it was a nigerian money scam. after that i received phone calls from america for my son and when i received a £300 phone bill i did a run down on the numbers. they were taxi cab firms! i found a name in my sons mobile and it matched the firm so i rang it. all they did was laugh. i told the police. again they weren', bothered. my son kept asking where i kept his passport which put me on high alert. his behaviour got worse and when i restricted the internet usage he went mad. i found he was using the one at our local library. when i alerted them they stopped him and his behaviour got worse. still the police didn't want to know. that was last year. my son is now in a secure unit after he set fire to my house after i took all the phonelines out. i know as a parent there is something or someone who got to him and is scaring him and guess what the police still do not want to know. they say at least he is safe where he is. they told me to hang on to my computer for when he returns in case anything happens again so they can check it!!!!!!!!!!
Witch
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr 2006 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maddy,this sounds like a typical nigerian scam except for the cab phone number thing.Can you tell us what country the taxi cab number was for?Or even post the number?
Unfortunately the police do not get involved in these types of scams.
There are too many,and the scammers cannot be found.
I would strongly suggest that you find a counsellor for your son,so that he can discuss the whole thing with that person.
As a mother also,my children were willing to tell other adults their problems but not so forthcoming with me.
Please let us know what is happening.
Jezabelle
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr 2006 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice from witch.

This sounds like quite a complicated story but it may help others who have been targeted if you can post any indentifying info on the scammers.
maddy

PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr 2006 19:00    Post subject: protecting kids re scams Reply with quote

thanks for both your replies. all i've got is the following........ johnolowu@yahoo.co.uk but i've tried to e mail him since and it's no longer in use. the phone number given to my son for him was 234-8023594998 . he also asks my son in the e mail 'are you still the one they call 'newis loogie'? before he takes any further step???????? the americen 'contact' is RON (checkers taxi cabs) Tel number 15163521600
(FROM ENGLAND UK) although i've got 3 more on my phone bill. i've got all the e mail correspondanse and all the phone print outs. i know the police may think i'm an idiot but i KNOW that this isn't the end of it. whatever my son got into, he REALLY believes it because he has a facination with america (since around the same time this bloke got in touch with him). and i know that when he comes home to me he'll be back trying on the computer. the thing is he's a real whizz and can (sorry to say) hack, solve, build whatever anyone wants. i don't know where he got this gift from but he can do it.
like i said at the minute he's in a secure unit 200 miles away from me. he'll stay there for the next 3 years ( although i'm hoping he'll come home sooner), i never thought that the internet could be so dangerous but it obviously can, and before anyone thinks 'oh, she's got a loony for a son', he is VERY well looked after, spoilt, in fact, gets lots of emotionel support ect. i really cannot understand WHY he went the way he did, but he did and i've got to live with it. all i know is, when i speak to him on the phone is, he says he feels safer there than he has done ever before and that is REALLY sad because he is only 14.
noxy
Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr 2006 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone number is for:

L I Checker Cab Of Elmont,
1305 Hempstead Tpke,
Elmont,
NY 11003
(516) 352-1600

I think that given that your son is safe and receiving help you should stop worrying about the scammers. I am not a psychologist but I suspect that your son contacted the scammers after he began to experience the problems that led to him going to the unit. You are probably best discussing your concerns with whoever is responsible for your son's welfare in the unit.
Witch
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2006 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

234-8023594998 Nigerian cell phone.
frodo
Victim Support

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2006 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search turned up:

Quote:
Dearest Beloveth, I am john Olowu an Orphan,My late Father was a loving,caring and hard working business man who died unfortunately in an auto crash.Before the sudden death of my beloved Father He intended to establish a business in the united states of America with the sum of$30 million unitedstates dollars,but unfortunately he died before this proposedventure. Following his death,Because am the only Son ,his family members are telling me that I am not entitled to all his property(Assets and money),but! I ! and my Mother will be cartered for by the late Fathers family,which means that they will take over the managementof his business and other properties. Unfortunately to this wicked family members,the $30 million united states dollars which my late Father intended to use in establishing a business in the UnitedStates was deposited in a bank account unknown to his family .I and thelawyer is the only one aware of this money,so i have discussed this matter with the lawyer that i want this money personally and he agreedbased on some compensation.According to the lawyer,the best way tosecure this money is to transfer this money to a bank account outside My country for safe-keeping,later it will be used for business establishment with your advice and assistance,which I will also comeover to your country. At this juncture,I and My Fathers lawyer needs your sincere assistance in providing us with your bank account,so that thismoney can be transferred into it within(4)working days as soon as I hear your positive response,However,I and the lawy er has agreed togive you 25% of the money as a reward for your sincere assistance andthe remaining 75% of the money will be for us(I and thelawyer). Thanking you in advance as I anticipate your urgent Thank you and God bless. Am waiting to here from you. Mr.Oluwo johnson Alternative email: johnolowu@yahoo.com

Got a positive response from the mail server. It's in use alright, the scammer's just ignoring the victim. Twisted Evil Let's see if he ignores me.
maddy

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr 2006 10:37    Post subject: protecting kids re scams Reply with quote

Did you get anything positive Frodo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SCAMPATROL Forum Index -> YOUR STORY AND EXPERIENCES WITH SCAMMERS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: